Monday, December 13, 2010

Scrap Fabric Tree - Tutorial

As promised - here is a nice little craft to start off your already busy week! I used items that I already had on hand so I actually didn't need to buy any of the supplies. But if you do, it still would be pretty inexpensive.  This craft also only took me 40 minutes to complete so it may even be something you can fit into your festive schedule!

Materials that you will need:
scraps of fabric (I choose fabrics in reds and greens but feel free to use whatever you have on hand)
paint 
paintbrush
canvas 
glue gun
glue sticks


 Start by painting your canvas. It may take a couple of coats but if you use an acrylic paint like Folk Art or Ceramcoat, the dry time is very quick! I chose Folk Art's metallic Champagne color because I liked the shimmery look of it. 


While your paint is drying, start cutting long thin strips (about 1/2" wide) out of your scrap fabric. Once your strips have been cut, you can now cut them down to approximately 1.5" in length. Your cuts and sizes don't have to be perfect because it actually looks better when there is a variance in measurements. 


 After your canvas has dried, measure out and draw a triangle in the middle of it. This will be your template to guide you on where to glue your fabric. 


Now take the strips you have just cut and begin to glue them onto your canvas. Start with the bottom layer and work up.
Hint: If you are only working with a few colors, it helps to not only keep your cut scraps in separate piles by color, but also by fabric. 


When you are done gluing your fabric and your tree has taken shape, you can add any kind of embellishment to adorn the top! I purchased a frame from a thrift store for $1.00 and painted it red. I also added a piece of brown fabric for the trunk of the tree.


Voila! You are done! See, that wasn't so bad - now you can get back to your cookies and present wrapping! I know I need to!

Click HERE to see a list of blogs that I linked this project to!


Loved your visit! Until next time...
Photobucket

15 comments:

{natalie} said...

i love it. must work on one soon.

love nat

Unknown said...

This is great! How clever you are ;-)

I Make Scleroderma Look Good said...

This is beautiful! And it might just be the thing I was looking for to make with my preschooler for his grandparents = )

Unknown said...

I think I might make one of these! maybe smaller versions for Christmas cards :) come on over and link up to MMM!

Liz said...

Oh my goodness, I love it! What a clever idea.

I have tons of scrap fabric that would work great for this. I have to make one.

Leigh the sewing diva said...

i love this! have added it to my to do list on my blog. pop over and grab yourself a featured button. and please follow me!!!
leigh
www.thesewingdivaandherreluctantmodels.blogspot.com

Dana said...

Love it!!!

lila Braga said...

simply gorgeous...so clever!
hugs
Lila

lyndsey @ the stationery place said...

okay, that is SO cute!! i love it! so easy, so festive and such a good way to use up scraps. i think one of these babies will be adorning my walls very soon. thanks for the tutorial!

Erin said...

So cute Amy! I am really bad about keeping small scraps. I always think I would never find a use for them but I was wrong- this is the perfect project for little scraps!

The Extra Ordinary Bree said...

This is so cute! And I love the comment about making a Christmas card size!!

Sundays Child said...

Wow, something that looks great, doesn't cost the moon and I think I can actually DO! lol Thanks a bunch. Cheers, Julie

Rosa said...

Súper cute!

Lesley Gilbert said...

I just found this link on Pinterest - lovely tree tutorial - Merry Christmas from England :)

Unknown said...

Fabulous. I need to do this! Merry Christmas to you all. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails