Monday, August 30, 2010

Lace Earring Holder - Tutorial

Here is a great user friendly way to store your earrings and have them be accessible from all angles! I really liked some of the ideas that I have seen on other blogs with embroidery hoops, frames with chicken wire etc..., but I wanted something that I didn't have to take off the wall or lift up in order to get my earrings off. The solution? Lace!

I went to my local thrift store and found this framed water color. I immediately tossed the water color and it's mat in the garbage but kept the cardboard backing. I then painted my frame. Coincidently, the paint color I had was Queen Anne's Lace! It's all so serendipitous! 

I paid $3 for the frame which is still, in my opinion, a bit pricey for a thrifted frame. But, I figured that since I had all the other materials I needed on hand, that this would be my one and only expense for this project. I can handle that.

I dumped all my lace out on the table and rummaged through it. I wanted to see all my options and play with the colors, widths and textures.

I started by taking the cardboard backing and measuring a piece of fabric by it. I allowed for a 1" fold on each side and trimmed it accordingly.

Then, I began to place my lace on the fabric. I pinned it and measured it
so that I knew it was straight. I trimmed it to the length of the fabric and I then sewed each piece on.

I sewed along only the top of the lace so that it could be flipped up to attach and remove earrings easily.

After my lace was all sewn on, I pressed it using a cool setting as to not burn the lace. This removed all puckering and helped my lace lay nice and flat.

Next, I laid my cardboard down on the back of the fabric and used double stick tape (you can use hot glue or craft glue) and began folding my edges over.
Hint: Fold one side over and then do the direct opposite side (i.e. top then bottom). This will ensure a better and more snug fit than if you just went around the frame in order.

After all my sides were folder over, I set it into the frame and used the wire that was already provided by the previous owner.

Then I was ready to adorn it with my earrings and favorite hair clips and hang it either on the wall or back of my door!

The lace is perfect for both earrings with posts and lever back earrings. 



Hair clips go on and off in a breeze, too!

Ta-Da! It took me only an hour to do and for $3, who can complain? Not this lady!

*Also, click HERE to see the where I linked this project to and support all that is handmade!*

16 comments:

Colett (*.*) said...

Fabulous idea! I just love that all of your ideas are so original, I've never seen this anywhere before. I hope that all who copy it remember to give credit where credit is due!

katherine said...

amy, that is darling. i think i am going to have to make one, immediately! love it, thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

Katherine - I thought of you when making it after our conversation at Abode regarding your display dilema. Maybe you can do it to display your goods at your next show?

Amie said...

I love this idea! I def have a frame and tons of lace lying around. I love that you used different colors and textures, it really makes it stand out and makes it that much more beautiful.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that is just TOO cute. How creative! Found you through a linky party : ) You are one talented gal. Hope you have a blessed weekend, friend!
Love,
Laura

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

That is great, I love that you used lace, so creative!

Jessica said...

I've been wanting to make something where I can put all of my earrings. They are all mysteriously disappearing and nothing is more frustrating than not finding that perfect pair to match what you are wearing. Right?
This is just what I needed! I love the fact that you used lace, GENIUS! Thanks so much for sharing I am going to start on one of these right now.

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Lindsay @ 402CenterStreet.blogspot.com said...

I love this idea! And it's nice to see it works for barrettes too! Goodness knows we have hundreds of those laying around and getting lost. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

I am hosting a Thursday Linky called Thrilling Thursday. I would love for you to stop by and link up!
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions
~Lori

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Thanks for linking up! Hope you can stop by again next week :)

Happy Homemaker And Momma said...

Love this idea!!! Would you honor me to guest post on my blog?


newest follower!!!


you are welcome to join in my giveaway here if you are interested:)

http://happyhomemakerandmomma.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-time-for-giveaway.html

Melissa {AllSewnUp} said...

I found this on pintrest and made my own, well, I made one as a gift, and it was a hit, thanks so much, it is a splendid idea and looks great! I'll be posting about how mine came out and I'll be sure to credit you and link back here! Thanks!

Melissa {AllSewnUp} said...

so, here is the link to the post with the pictures of how mine turned out, I wanted to thank you again for such a creative pretty idea!

http://allsewnupetsy.blogspot.com/2011/06/fun-accessory-display.html

Jess said...

This is great! Can't wait to make one.

Elle said...

I loved this so much, I made one for myself about 5 minutes after I saw it! http://elleinawell.blogspot.com/2013/01/mori-inspiried-jewelry-organizers.html

Jen Hammond said...

Beautiful. Going to attempt to make one for myself. Love that it can hold all sorts of things, not just dangling earrings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails