Monday, October 18, 2010

Storybook Plaque Tutorial

A simple way to add a little art to your child's room! And since it is made from thrifted children's books and supplies you may already have at home, the cost of the project will run you less than $5.00!
(P.S. I don't like that the word "thrifted" comes up as an error in spell check! It's a REAL word!)


************

I have a love for vintage children's books! For me, a thrift store outing is not complete without roaming the isles of previously owned books and spotting an old binding with colorful illustrations inside. Thrift stores usually sell books for only .50 cents to $2.00, so really, it's a pretty cheap hobby! Vintage books will always have a hard back (usually fabric of some kind) so that is one way to identify them among all the others. My collection seems to be almost rabbit like and is rapidly growing in numbers. I decided to sacrifice one of them and put it to good use for this art project.


Materials that you will need:
story book (it doesn't have to be vintage!)
mod podge
acrylic paint
paint or foam brush
wooden plaques (I got mine at WalMart but you can find them at most craft supply stores)
exacto knife
hinges


 For the first step, select images and text that you like in your book and begin to cut them all out with your exacto knife. Be sure to use a self healing board or cardboard to protect your surface. Cut as close to the graphic as possible so that your image is like a silhouette. Set them aside.
Hint: If you do not want to cut up one of your books, just scan it to your computer and print it out.


 If your wood is a little rough, you may want to sand it down a bit. I had some really rough edges and the wood was splintering. Lesson to be learned here: look your product over before buying it!


 Apply a layer of acrylic paint to your wooden plaques (both sides). Let stand to dry for 15-30 minutes and then apply a second coat. Let dry for another 15-30 minutes.
Hint: If you want a distressed, "Shabby" look, you can just do one coat with your paint slightly watered down and then sand the edges!


 Next, screw in your hinges. Allow a small gap between plaques so that your boards have room to fold - much like a book binding.


 You are now ready to apply your graphics. Once you have figured your text and graphic placement, apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the front of your plaques and lay your images down. Don't apply Mod Podge to the images - it's too hard and too messy! Allow to dry for another 15 minutes. I usually prefer the gloss finish Mod Podge over the matte finish because I like the sheen that it gives.


 Once the Mod Podge has dried under your images, you can now apply the Mod Podge to the top of your images. I like to cover the ENTIRE surface of my project - images or no images. This will ensure that your graphics stay put, gives it a nice finished look and it help keep it clean from fingerprints and dust.  Allow to dry for another 15 minutes. If this is your first time working with Mod Podge, don't fret when you see the white glue on your project - it dries clear.


You are finished! You can now display it where you please and show off all your crafty hard work!


Cost of Materials:
wooden plaques: $1.29 ea.
paint: $1.15 (on sale!)
book: $1.00
hinges: .50 cents for 2 qty
_________________________
Total: $4.95

P.S. If you don't already own any of the other mentioned supplies, be sure to click on the Crazy About Deals button on the right hand side of my blog and find a coupon to a craft store near you!

For a list of fabulous hosts that have allowed me to link up this project, click here.

9 comments:

Olivia said...

Super cute idea! And I love the cowboy plaque next to the robot...

xoxo,
~Olivia

Be Colorful Coastal said...

A great idea and so out of the box. Kids need art too and this is darling but cool.
Pam

Joan said...

Lucky little boy. Does he want to hold his new art project? You need to decoupage a Grandpa Wayne cowboy photo on the back.

Unknown said...

This is so cool!

Rose said...

I never thought of using the books for this. What a wonderful idea.

Doreen said...

So very cute! This is a great idea. I picked up a "Bobbsey Twins" book recently that I am looking forward to crafting with. I remember reading it when I was about 6!--just a short 48 years ago!
Please stop by my blog to see some of my altered artwork projects.
http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com

Elaine said...

That's so cool!!! I may have to borrow this as a Christmas idea for my nephew.

CLOTHED MUCH, a modest fashion blog

Unknown said...

Amy this is great! My mom made me one of these with some precious moments characters when I was little girl that I still have & I've always wanted to do one for Elsa & Ida girls!

Thanks for all your help at D.Y.I night. I finished everything up today & it all looks great. I may need some mod podge lessons though...

P.s. Elsa asked when Emerson was going to come over again. She napped today for almost 4 hrs. Too much partying last night!

Unknown said...

Amy this is great! My mom made me one of these with some precious moments characters when I was little girl that I still have & I've always wanted to do one for Elsa & Ida girls!

Thanks for all your help at D.Y.I night. I finished everything up today & it all looks great. I may need some mod podge lessons though...

P.s. Elsa asked when Emerson was going to come over again. She napped today for almost 4 hrs. Too much partying last night!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails